Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bohemian Biz Spotlight

I'm sure you all have heard of the phrase "partners in crime" right???....Well the women behind Oh Goodness! Desserts are definitely criminal for offering up such sinfully yummy goodness. I mean how can you resist a cupcake with an oreo on top? YUM! 

Cousins Nikola and Takasha are the hard working women behind Oh Goodness! Desserts. They both hold down full-time jobs by day, and turn into baking extraordinaires by night. It takes a lot of dedication to hold down jobs and other family duties, and that's why I believe Nikola and Takasha are so worthy of the spotlight! Get to know them and show em' some love please :)



1. I won't ask your age, but what was your favorite t.v. show to watch growing up? 
Takasha: The Cosby Show was my never miss show.

Nikola: Martin and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.  I still crack up at the re-runs!

2.  What gave you the AUDACITY to start a business?
Takasha: Knowing that we had what it takes to put out a quality product is what made me want to go into business.

Nikola:  I think for me, I always knew I would be an entrepreneur, I just didn’t know what I’d be doing.  I’ve dabbled in everything from fashion, graphic design, music…the list goes on and on.  I just knew I would never be satisfied working a regular 9-5 for the rest of my life.  Also, as a mother of 3yr old twin girls, I want the freedom to be able to spend time with my children, take them to school, help with homework, etc.  That is something that is very important to me and what I look forward to most.



3. Out of all the creative businesses you could have chosen to start, why did you choose baking?
Takasha: I love creating, and baking allows me to do that.  I enjoy mixing totally different ingredients that can stand on their own to create something delicious.

Nikola: I wish I could say that I’ve been baking all my life or grew up in the kitchen watching and learning from my grandmother, but that couldn’t be further from the truth!  I had absolutely NO interest in cooking whatsoever so I never would have thought I would one day be a baker.  One day, Takasha asked if I would like to take a cake decorating class with her and I thought why not? It sounded like fun.  I never imagined it would spark a creative passion that I never even knew I possessed.  I’m also a wedding/party planner, so the two kind of go hand-in-hand.

4. Lots of people want to be their own boss, however they don't understand that it really Is harder then it seems. What's your typical work day like?
Takasha & Nikola: We can definitely say no two days are alike! We both still hold down our regular full-time jobs, so most of the baking is done in the evenings (sometimes well into the night) and on weekends.  People don’t realize how hard it is to run a business. In the start-up phase, you have to wear so many different hats, so its not all fun and baking. We have to do the PR, marketing, accounting, web design, delivery driving…you get the picture!!!




5. How do you find the strength to persevere when the challenges seem to outweigh the rewards?
Takasha: I know that Oh, Goodness! Desserts has the potential to be something great.  If we didn’t try now, we never would!  I knew it was time to let go of all of the excuses and take a true shot at having a successful business.

Nikola: I’ve always been a firm believer that when one door closes, another will open and that everything happens for a reason.  I’ve never been the type of person to be down for too long, so if something is not going the way I planned, I don’t dwell on it.  I sit back, regroup, and figure out a way to come back stronger.

6. What inspires you?
Takasha:  I am inspired by the many successful small businesses out there.  They show me that it is possible.

Nikola: My daughters inspire me.  They are the driving force behind everything that I do.  I want to be a positive role model to them because I know they look up to me.



7. What's your go to wine when it's time to unwind? :)
Takasha: I like a wine with a kick! Chardonnay just doesn’t do it for me.  I like to unwind with a glass of Carlo Rossi Sangria.  The fresh, fruity body of the wine, along with the zip helps me put a perfect end to a particularly stressful day.

Nikola: I like to relax with a glass of Sangria or Moscato and curl up with a good book or catch up on some of my favorite shows since I hardly have time to watch tv nowadays.

8. When it comes to the following words, what advice would you give?
*Work: 
Takasha: Hard work does pay off, but you can’t be afraid of it.

Nikola:  Hard work and perseverance go hand-in-hand.  Even when things don’t seem to be going your way, never give up.

*Self: 
Takasha: Love yourself! Know that you deserve something great!

Nikola: Always be true to yourself and love yourself first, because if you don’t love yourself how can you expect anyone else to?

*Life: 
Takasha: Live it! Don’t sit back and let it pass you by.

Nikola: You only get one, so live life to the fullest and use every mistake as a learning experience instead of a regret.
*Love: 
Takasha: Love is essential. It keeps you healthy.

Nikola – Love is an action, not just a word that should be thrown around lightly.  When you love, it should be truly, deeply, and unconditionally.

*Friends: 
Takasha: Surround yourself with them.  They could be some of your strongest supporters…and free labor! (lol)

Nikola – A true friend is someone who is always there for you, through thick and thin.  Make sure you recognize them early on because true friends are hard to come by, but when you have one (or a few), you will definitely know it!



9. I define a Bohemian Spirit as someone who is free, unique, and unafraid to make her own stamp on the world. Why are you a Bohemian Spirit?  
We are Bohemian Spirits because we strive to be the best that we can be and we have defined our own rules on what it is to be successful and we are well on our way. We’re ready to take over the world, one delicious dessert at a time!


Oh, Goodness! Desserts is a fresh, new baked goods company started by cousins Nikola Ahaiwe and Takasha Wroten (aka The OGD Girls). What started out as a hobby making cakes and cupcakes for family, friends, and coworkers, soon blossomed into much more after receiving so many positive comments and feedback. It seemed only natural to combine our talent and love for baking to start a business!  

Nikola Ahaiwe/Takasha Wroten
Oh, Goodness! Desserts
Oh, Goodness! Desserts specializes in cupcakes, custom cakes, cake pops, etc. All of our desserts are baked to order to ensure that they are fresh, moist, and satisfying to the taste buds!!!


be free,
Myisha

*Wanna be in the spotlight? Email bohemianspiritjewelry@gmail.com


4 comments:

  1. Cute post! I love ready about other women who are doing " good things". Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Those cupcakes look yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! Kudos to the ladies for doing it......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again Myisha for sharing our story! As a long-time follower of your blog, it is truly a pleasure to be featured in the BSJ Biz Spotlight. Also, thank you ladies for the positive comments and feedback :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you!