Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Monday!

And the weekend is over...just that fast. *sigh* Now back to business as usual.

How was you guys' weekend? Well I actually had a fairly normal weekend. Not too much running around, but just enough. I surprised my hubby on Saturday and took him to Los Angeles to the William Grant Still Arts Center for a Eunice Kathlene Waymon aka Nina Simone tribute. I love surprising him! Unlike him, I can actually keep a secret, so it was nice to see the look on his face when we arrived. There were tons of album covers, art, newspaper clippings, live tribute performances from some talented performers, and even many of Nina's personal notes all up for display. All of the items were provided by her brother Carrol Waymon. I've been a huge fan of Nina Simone's music since high school when a group of my classmates and I performed a modern dance routine to "Four Women," a song released on the 1966 album Wild is the Wind. We ended the day with lunch at Bottega Louie in Downtown Los Angeles.  Fun times!







{All pictures by M. Croom-Turner}

be free,
Myisha







4 comments:

  1. Nina Simone was a powerful woman with a powerful voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I will definitely have to check that out. And I LOVE Bottega Louie! My brother and I just went there yesterday for dessert. OMG the macaroons were amazing! I think I am going to have to get me a box now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Glenda...Yes she was and her voice is one I've loved since the moment I heard it.

    @Renaissance....You should check it out. It was great. Oh my my my the Macaroons are to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina Simone was a powerful woman. I think one of her best songs is her rendition of Sinner Man.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you!